Today’s 2008 Kingsbury Journal “flashback” is rather long,
so I am going to keep this introduction short and sweet… I just want to say that regardless of how long we have been married –or if we even are!—adversity,
trials, sorrows, trouble or what some call plain “bad luck” (which I don’t
believe in J) seem to worm their
way into our lives. And why is this? I found a beautiful quote that
illustrate some of the reasons:
In the journal entry that follows, I mention two very dear
people, who know something about adversity. They are beautiful angels who
helped me, Ben and my family at a difficult time: Mary and Pam. These days, those two
dear young ladies are respectively battling liver cancer and raising a little daughter
with severe congenital health issues. Both are warriors. Both are living
gloriously.
Whether it’s autism affecting your life, or something else,
we all have our battles! Rock on!
October 1998
So here we were, October 29,
1998. D day was finally there: the diagnosis was going to fall. I felt a bit
light headed as Keith and I sat in the empty waiting room. The first magazine I
picked up talked about “pervasive development disorder”, hummmm, could that be?
I recoiled in horror as I read more: “What? They have coined a new term for my
nemesis, it is just plain old autism”. And so minutes before we were ushered
into Dr. Senft’s office, I already knew: “My three year and five month old
little boy officially has autism”.
What did it change? Nothing
really. He had “it” before. It was just that my conscience of it had somehow
affected my reality. Keith and I didn’t even cry. I don’t think we even hugged
or comforted each other, maybe there was a bit of denial going on there? Who
can tell? It was a long time ago...
Pervasive Development
Disorder is thought to be a more descriptive term than “autism”; “pervasive”
means that delays are wide-spread and have affected all areas of development,
cognitive, social, mental as well as physical such as gross and fine motor
skills. Neurologists, psychologists, psychiatrists and all mental and behavior
health professionals refer to autism as being a “spectrum” these days, which
means no two children are exactly affected the same way by this disorder and
will fall somewhere on the spectrum or bell curve. I have even heard some
health care providers refer to PDD-NOS as one distinct category on the Autism
Spectrum. It can be very confusing for the newly diagnosed family.
Thankfully as members of the
church we have the guidance of the Holy Ghost, and regardless of what “they”
call our children we have to keep in mind that it is for their good that they
are so “labeled”; so they can receive the services best suited to their
condition, or as close to as possible. With the guidance of the Spirit we can
know if something is right or wrong for the treatment of our children. That is
what Keith and I clung to as we felt “tempest tossed”, with prayer and the
Spirit, we would be alright.
The day after we received
the diagnosis, Jennifer having informed the rest of her Relief Society
presidency, the president and her first counselor both came to visit me at
home. What an awkward visit that was! It had been as though someone had died...
And maybe in a way the idea of Ben as a typical little boy had indeed died, but
I had known for months, at least a whole year, if not more, that there was
something different about him, so this diagnosis didn’t change anything about
our situation.
I think people around
families having just heard that their child has autism don’t know what to say
or how to act, they think the world has come to an end for the family affected.
It isn’t so! For us, it meant that it wasn’t my fault Ben was the way he was. I
wasn’t a bad mom and it wasn’t due to something I was or wasn’t doing! Yes,
autism might be with him all his earthly days but we could help him break out
of his shell and be a happier person now that Dr. Senft was on our side. With
God’s help we would succeed.
So we could now
move forward and get Ben more therapy and he could progress more. With this
diagnosis we could move past the once a week in-home half hour occupational
therapy and hit or miss speech sessions. We could actually get Dr. Senft to
prescribe outpatient sessions at Good Shepherd Hospital so Ben could learn all
he can while his brain was still “plastic” as she had said, meaning while he
could still learn as much as possible!
With a diagnosis of PDD-NOS,
Pervasive Development Disorder Not Otherwise Specified, Ben was eligible for
weekly outpatient sessions of speech and occupational therapy. Dr. Senft also
wanted to rule out a seizure disorder: Ben’s crying spells at 2 a. m. and his
staring at school and home when he watched TV were bothersome to her. I just
always thought he was spacing out. But he needed an EEG to check his brain
activity. “I have so much to schedule but this is good, we are getting him all
the help he can get so he can catch up, right? He will catch up?”
End of 1998, a ribbon of
fear curls around my throat as I busy myself , calling to make the arrangements
for the EEG and the therapies, what if Ben never makes up for the lost time? A
diagnosis of autism is a lifetime diagnosis... He will always have autism, all we
can hope for is for him to get better and better, so much so that one day maybe
his disability will almost be invisible. And for now that day is still so far
away, we have so much work to accomplish... Ben is three and a half already and
we barely got him diagnosed, his speech delay is so severe that we don’t know
if he’ll ever be able to talk at this point. We need a miracle.
But I have faith. Heavenly
Father didn’t send us this child to fail him. We will get him all the help we
can get him and we will help him achieve all that he can and fulfill the
measure of his creation, whatever that is for him. My favorite scripture, 1
Nephi 3:7, carried me: ‘...I will go and
do the things which the Lord hath commanded me, for I know that the Lord giveth
no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them
to accomplish the thing he commanded them.”
Those days were very trying
though. I learned that I couldn’t get the additional in-home therapy that we
needed until we applied for medical assistance. My pride stung. No, we weren’t
well off. But we had enough money for our needs. By then Keith made
sufficiently to care for our family and carried enough health insurance
coverage. Our “destitute” days were over. But if we were to care for Ben the
way we needed to and to pay for it out of pocket, we would certainly get right
back to square one. And that is why the Lord had sent us to Pennsylvania, the
only state in the Union to care for their disabled children in this manner:
without ever asking for as much as a pay stub from Keith, Ben was enrolled in medical
assistance and was able to receive in-home therapy.
Keith and I also began a
very long journey through the cycle of grief. As I mentioned before, we had to
relinquish the idea of a typically developing little boy... It had been
somewhat obvious through the baby and toddler years and after the diagnosis,
obviously, we were made more than aware that the road ahead would be long and
rocky for us. Shock and disbelief were short lived for me.
Anger didn’t last very long
either because I knew that such a negative emotion would only slow me down and
impede the programs I needed to put in place for my son. Confusion and powerlessness however were
emotions that threatened to swallow me whole; and depression was not far
behind, never far behind. I had to work so hard to keep a positive outlook!
I started to collect
uplifting quotes from General Conferences and copy them, posting them on my
fridge and kitchen cabinets, everywhere I would see them all the time
throughout the day. Anything to uplift me, to keep me going. Maybe a child had
died after all... The idea of a “normal child”, one that would grow up to be a
deacon, a teacher, a priest, an elder, who’d serve a mission, marry in the
Temple... Now what would really happen? At that time I was too engulfed in the
day to day drudgery to even remember that Heavenly Father had promised me this
special child and so that I was qualified to take care of him.
After my depression let go
of its strongest grip, guilt took its place, of course, such is the cycle of
grief... I was ashamed of myself for having succumbed to being depressed,
strong Latter-Day saints are not depressed, not when the gospel is a gospel of
joy and peace. That is true, but sometimes we get depressed when trials and
tribulations get heaped so high and tall that we cannot see the other side of
the mountain.
I was in stormy uncharted
waters and I prayed for deliverance from my depressed feelings all the while
doing what I had to in order to help my children. The Lord heard my pleas. I
had to stop feeling ashamed for having been depressed for a season; hope
started to blossom as Ben started to do well with his in-home therapy. It was
all worth it!
Applied Behavior Analysis
February 1999 to February
2004
Ben’s in-home therapy
consisted of a very rigorous “discrete trial” and Applied Behavior Analysis
combination. His TSS – Therapeutic Staff Support – and BSC – Behavioral
Specialist Consultant– , Mary and Tanya were wonderful and came each and every
day for four hours to work with Ben on repetitive tasks, asking him to: “Do
this” and model a pattern he then had to repeat, either with gestures or with
building blocks or repeating words.
At first I was dubious, but
I was a convert when I saw how fast Ben complied and how much he seemed to
enjoy it after the first week. What’s more, my whiny and wiggly little Ben sat
for them and seemed to eagerly wait for the next set of instructions!
Applied Behavior Analysis
was developed by researchers who observed children with autism respond very favorably
to these techniques. I have to say that our son benefited greatly from ABA
which teaches skills, which children normally pick up from their environment
without formal teaching, one small step at a time.
For example, not in any
particular order, how to greet people, eat with a fork, put on and take off
socks or a shirt, zip up a coat; things like that. Discrete trial is the
primary teaching method of ABA designed to increase attention span, which was
very limited for Ben. It also rewarded him with lots of cheering and social
praise and the few occasional fruit snacks or M & M’s! With its simple
concrete and explicit instructions, Ben was able to succeed with discrete trial,
it was wonderful to see him blossom. It was a prayer answered for us.
I would love of course to
say it was smooth sailing from then on but of course we still were in stormy
waters. Ben’s EEG came back abnormal, showing signs of seizure activity. So Dr.
Senft prescribed Tegretol to control the staring spells. And she also recommended
we take Ben for an MRI to rule out any physical brain problems that could cause
the seizures. Within two weeks those disappeared as well as the 2 a. m. crying
spells, thanks to the Tegretol...
What a glorious night that
was, I woke up anyway of course, thinking something was amiss, my body was used
to waking like clock work; but all was silent, Ben asleep looking like an angel
peaceful in his bed... I thought I should wake him just to make sure he was
alright, but here he was resting through the night for the first time in his
life, possibly... Another miracle from a very merciful Father in Heaven.
What Keith and I figured out
was that Ben would probably have petit mal seizures during the night, which
would cause him to wake up with a splitting headache, and would make it really
hard for him to fall back to sleep. I felt so badly for my little guy,
suffering for so long without any words to tell me that he was in pain. But his
seizures were the invisible kind, the sort that you aren’t aware of, unless you
really know what you are looking for. How was I to know? I can see it now, in
the pictures, he has big purples circles under his eyes; poor little boy, so
young yet so sick.
We scheduled the MRI
thinking nothing could possibly go wrong when Heavenly Father was blessing us.
Well, don’t count your chicken before they hatch. And don’t think that Heavenly
Father is ever finished refining you, because until you draw your last breath
you aren’t finished having to endure. The MRI showed a cyst on Ben’s
cerebellum, right smack in the middle of his brain. My world collapsed around
me yet again. What did it all mean? Did that cause the seizures? Did it cause
the autism? So many questions came rushing through my mind, and threatened to
engulf me. I had to breathe and rely on the Lord not on arms of flesh, even if
those arms had gone to countless years of medical school.
It might sound callous but
in the years of dealing with very wonderful and not so wonderful doctors I have
learned that nothing replaces prayer and the guidance from the Holy Ghost in
dealing with my son’s condition, and vice versa of course. I would never dream
of course of going without medical treatment because I have my faith and the
Holy Ghost.
So I prayed that all would
be alright even with Ben having this additional hurdle of a cyst on his brain.
We went to Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia to consult with a pediatric
surgeon who had the bedside manner of a country veterinarian –some of which
possibly have better people skills after all!
And it turned out that the cyst was water filled and benign. The doctor
also was of the opinion that the cyst had nothing to do with his developmental
delays.
All to show that prayer
works and strengthens our testimonies that Father loves us and is mindful of us
in our hours of need. Alma 62:51 says: “ And they did pray unto the Lord their
God continually, insomuch that the Lord blessed them, according to his word, so
that they did wax strong and prosper in the land.” The Lord had indeed blessed us so much and I
wanted so much for Ben to now prosper.
Ben continued with ABA at
home and speech and occupational therapy at Good Shepherd. It was a long
process but looking back on it now it seemed to happen miraculously. My
non-verbal Bambi seemed to emerge from his own little world, day after day, at
the hands of very patient therapists. Mary stayed with us for nine months then
Amy for eighteen months and finally Pam for two years.
Playing with Joey, Camie and Lixie!
Reading a book with Mary and Amy!
Those girls were our
favorites and became part of our family for all the time they spent with us. We
went to Amy’s wedding and Camie was even her flower girl after Amy wasn’t Ben’s
therapist anymore.
We also attended Pam’s wedding in the Poconos and saw her become
Mrs. Klaus. What joy!!
I cannot express my
gratitude for what they did for Ben. Being outside our family they had some
influence over him that we didn’t; it is interesting how, as I mentioned
before, he is better for other people, eager to behave, happy to please. He
repeated words for them by rote at first, then more and more spontaneously. We
had quite a problem with echolalia in the beginning, where he would just repeat
what he had last heard you say, which meant he had no concept of the meaning of
what was said.
As I mentioned, Pam stayed
with us for two years, she became family! She worked tirelessly with him. It
helped that he was compliant with her and, except for when he grew tired and
wouldn’t understand what was asked of him, he would try his best and looked so
cute. And I think he wanted to impress her!
It was still hard at home
though, to have so many “strange” people come and go. At times I felt that my
little house on Bridge Street had become Grand Central Station. The TSS
sometimes had students “trailing” them: The agency loved to send new employees
to see their therapists work with Ben because he was a good little client that
wouldn’t turn off a new employee about to start work for them, as opposed to a
defiant one who would scare them off into finding different new employment...
Then we also had to have the BSC come and evaluate the TSS’s work to make sure
all was on track. So many faces in the house, so many cars in front of the
house...
I felt we had no privacy. My
girls were still young thankfully and they loved having a little time at the
end of each session with the TSS to talk about girly stuff or do nails or go to
the park. I have to say though, that towards the end, they were more than ready
to reclaim their home and privacy. We started ABA and TSS sessions in February
1999 and ended in February 2004 and for 5 years we gave up on a lot of after
school activities for the girls so we could do this for Ben.
Was it worth it, would I do
it again? A resounding yes! It wasn’t easy but I credit ABA for Ben’s increased
attention span and especially for his verbal ability. The TSS were able to
include his sisters in some of the activities when they were younger and teach
him games and turn taking, use Angelique’s babbling and then emerging
vocabulary to Ben’s advantage, teach me techniques for rewarding him
appropriately and countless other things.
Another perk for having
another adult in the house when my kids were young was that I had someone to talk
to when things were less than ideal. Say things were rough with Ben in the
morning, I knew that soon the therapist would come over and I could ask her
what she thought about what he was doing, she could share what she was learning
at her training sessions and last but not least she was a friend... Those girls
truly became good friends. They were angels sent by a merciful Father who knew
Keith and I couldn’t do it on our own, being in Pennsylvania away from our
families.
I remember for example, one
morning I had gone grocery shopping and bought a gallon of whole milk. Ben was
about four years old at the time. He started drinking some milk from the new
bottle and by the time his therapist, Amy, arrived about an hour later, half
the gallon was gone. He had kept asking for more and more and more, behaving
more and more like a drunken man.
I was very concerned and
told Amy about the phenomenon, she replied that she had read about milk
allergies being very common in kids with autism and that maybe I should look
into it. Sometimes we love and crave what isn’t good for us, creating sort of a
vicious cycle for ourselves. It sounded true for Ben, he had refused all other
foods for lunch that day and behaved as I said “like a drunk”, it was very
scary to watch!
If I wanted Ben to truly “prosper”
and be healthier, I really needed to watch his diet, so I stopped giving him
regular milk and introduced soy milk, holding my breath. My little guy is very
picky. Who knows how he would react, would he hurl the cup right back at me?
(Okay he’s never done that, but you never know, he had thrown enough toys at
us!) He took a sip, hummmm, not bad, another, not bad at all, he drank the
whole thing! Not a peep. I was so relieved! I asked, “Do you like it?” He
nodded, yes. Oh, another victory! Thank you, Heavenly Father!
It’s been eight years and we
haven’t given him regular milk since, except for the occasional cup when we’re
all out or when we’re out of town, but even now he’ll tell us “This isn’t MY
milk!!” very indignantly! I think he knows he feels better when he doesn’t
drink lactose.
Autistic kids have been known
to be very lactose intolerant and some are gluten intolerant as well. We tried
that diet as well with Ben. But it didn’t seem to make a difference in his
speech or behavior so we let it go and gave him back his beloved Cheerios as it
is one of the few foods he likes.
It is very difficult to have
a child with a diet so restricted in the first place and then find out they
have to be placed on a special diet as well. For Ben it is just the milk,
thankfully. If for your child you have to make even more adjustments, take heart
and think of the children of Israel eating manna in the desert for forty years.
They made it because the Lord was with them, the Lord will be with you as well
as you take the best care of your child.
Ben started Kindergarten
being not quite verbal yet – he only could say a few words-- and not potty
trained, so he was placed in a special education class for autistic children in
the Bethlehem area school district. What is interesting to note is that this
school district entirely outsources its special education services for the
autistic population from the Colonial Intermediate Unit #20 which we had dealt
with for special education preschool since Ben was two and a half.
Ben had already attended two
years of special ed preschool at Marvine Elementary and I felt he was ready for
Kindergarten even if not at the same level of readiness as the other
Kindergartners, he was as ready as he would get. His teacher was wonderful but
his school was very far away, in Bath, and unfortunately they had to close down
the classroom when the teacher went on maternity leave. What a horrible blow
for all those autistic kids who thrive on routine...
Ben was then sent to another
school where he stayed for the remainder of the year and another year, at which
time they sent him to yet another school because they closed that classroom yet
again! What I am getting at is how do you justify this type of policy when you
are dealing with kids diagnosed with autism?
Routine is a big reassurance
that all things are well for children on the spectrum, why take that away from
them? Ben thrives on schedules, he loves calendars and likes to check things
off on a list. Switching him from classroom to classroom wasn’t the greatest
thing in his education and I wish I had made more of a fuss, but what could
that have changed? Administrators do what they will anyway. At this time we
might face another classroom closure this year. I am just sick thinking about
it.
But this is what I have to
say, despite all the turmoil, Ben continued to grow and progress in his own
sphere: his speech became clearer and clearer, from Kindergarten –two years of
it– to second Grade. His vocabulary grew so much and his comprehension really
was magnified by all the efforts made in speech therapy and at home. I will
always remember Ben’s first joke: Camie sat on a little ball of Silly Putty on
the couch –not something I would have laughed about under normal circumstances–
and when she went to get up a string of Putty linked her behind to the couch!
Ben exclaimed: “Look, Camie
has a tail!” I was floored, first of all
that he had the words to express himself and second that he could see the humor
in the situation, then third, he was right, it was really funny! We all burst
laughing, we couldn’t believe it, our Ben was joking! What a great one! I think
he was seven when that happened, it was such a great day for us, a small
miracle but such a cherished one.
Another dear miracle is the
day Ben finally responded to my endless “I love you”’s . It didn’t come with
thunder and lightning of course. But he said it , “I love you Mommy” and my
heart was finally satisfied that I wouldn’t die without hearing it! It had been
so hard to see my son go through his toddler years without any way to
communicate his most basic needs, now he could finally tell us what he needed
and also express love!!... What a relief, and what abundance of joy!
It had taken countless hours of hard work on our part with the
skilled help of dedicated professionals. We had been told that if Ben didn’t
speak by the time he was five years old, he would probably never speak, so we
really had pulled up all stops that year and here we were two years later... I
finally had heard my son tell me he loved me. Yes, again it was thanks to all
the therapy but also it was because it was Heavenly Father’s will for Ben that
he shouldn’t go through his mortal estate without any verbal ability. And I was
so thankful for that.
It reminds me of the
scripture in Ether 12:27: “And if men come unto me I will show unto them their
weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is
sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble
themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become
strong unto them.” I wonder if it will surprise Ben one day that he couldn’t
really speak for himself until he was seven years old. He is going to be
thirteen this year and he sure can express his opinion, whether we want to hear
it or not. He sometimes still has improper speech or sentences borrowed from
movies that he’ll use to answer questions but he understands what we tell him and
can communicate well.



No comments :
Post a Comment