Monday, July 15, 2013

♥ Thank you, Mom and Dad ~ Merci, Maman et Papa ♥




         I have lived roughly half of my life in France, and the other in the United States of America. I am still a French citizen, but I am pretty sure that as soon as my green card expires, I will apply for citizenship this time around…

Me and my little family, a few days after I was born!

When I first left France to come to America, my mommy cried and cried at the Marseille airport. I kept telling her: “mom, stop it, I’m only going to graduate school!” Ha! Mothers know, they always know, don’t they? I never moved back to my native France.
When I joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, my parents weren’t so excited. I didn’t understand it. Hindsight being 20/20, and now being ever so close to having a daughter turn 20 this year –the age I was when I joined the church myself—I totally understand their relunctance at having their only daughter being baptized into a church they hardly knew anything about.
How would I feel if Camille came home and announced that she wanted to be Buddhist and wanted to go to grad school to India!? Yeah, I have thought about it in the 23 years since I made my big life change, especially since I started having kids of my own J

June 13, 1992: Mom and Dad came to my wedding in Salt Lake City, Utah. The first of many trips to the USA for them. Even though they were not able to see me and Keith married in the temple, they still made the sacrifice. They told me I was their only daughter, so they would be there... Keith and I arranged for a ring exchange to take place before our reception, so my dad escorted me to the backdrop where Keith was standing. His bishop spoke a few words and we exchanged our rings

So this entry is a big thank you card of sorts to my amazing parents, who have made countless sacrifices for me through the years. I love them, more than words could ever express, and I am sorry if I was so poor at conveying how much I love and respect them while growing up. I suppose it takes becoming a parent to fully appreciate the ones you have!
As I have posted before, “one day we will run out of tomorrows” (President Thomas S. Monson). I do not want to let another day pass without saying thank you to my Mom and Dad for their love and support in my 43 years of life!
First of all, it did take some time for them to accept that being a member of the church was right for me, but I feel that they now support me and my whole family in this life change. They have expressed that they are proud of the way Keith and I are raising our kids. This is the best compliment one can receive from their parents! They know we love God and Jesus Christ and I think this comforts them. Plus the fact that we do our best to keep the Ten Commandments has to be good for parents, right? J After all, number five is a big one:

“Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.”

(Old Testament | Exodus 20:12)

It talks about honoring your parents, which I really strive to do. Not saying I’m perfect, just saying I’m trying my best…
The second thing I am grateful for is the support they have always given us through our life journey with autism. Ever since Ben started exhibiting symptoms, and even though my parents live a whole ocean away, they have always always always been helpful, lending a hand whenever they could. Let’s face it, international travel is far from cheap! Yet they have always strived to be part of our lives, and they have come to help, especially when Keith has had to travel for extended periods of time, or when we have had health crises.
Here’s a photo album of all the times we have met as a family! Notice that the Kingsbury family has traveled to France very little, the Lopez family is the one making the trek every time… Autism kids do not do so well journeying over long distances… Not to mention the prohibitive cost of flying an autism family of five L

Once more, thank you for all you do for us Mom and Dad! J Talk to you on Skype very soon!  ♥ I love you ♥

July 1995: Camille was 18 months! Fun at the French beach... Last time for a looooong time :)

November 1996: Papy and Mamy came to visit us in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania! Camie, almost 3 and Ben, 18 months.
February- March 1997: Mamy came to stay with us while daddy was in Indonesia and I was pregnant with Angelique...
March 1999: Mamy came to visit to meet Angelique who was growing way too fast (almost 2 years old!) :)

December 2001: Another visit from Mamy, I had to have surgery, not too fun; but it was great to have my mom over during Christmas :)
April 2006: Fun Easter Break with Papy and Mamy!
April 2006: At the Amish Banquet in Lancaster County, PA
Camie, 13; Ben, almost 11 and Lixie almost 9.

Sept.-October 2006: Mamy came to help because Lixie was supposed to have surgery. Thankfully after our family fasting and praying, the doctor said he couldn't believe what he saw but she didn't need it after all! :) So Mamy stayed and enjoyed her trip!
September 2008: Mamy and Papy came to visit us in MN! Visit to Como Zoo :)
Camille, almost 16; Ben, 13 and Lixie, 11.
Downtown Minneapolis 2008


March 2010: Trip to Hilton Head Island! Ben was fresh out of the hospital; he was sooo excited the doctor let him go :)
Camille, 17; Ben, 15 and Lixie 13.

June 2012: Me and my parents in Béziers, South of France. I hadn't been to France since 1995! 17 years fly so fast when you take care of a child with autism and two other little girls too :)

June 2012: Papy, Mamy, Biloup the Husky and Camille who is now 18 years old (last time she was in France she was 18 months old!) :)

No comments :

Post a Comment