Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Autism trials, tribulations and triumphs


October 9th, 2013 already… I haven’t written much lately, we all went back to school and life just accelerated. General Conference has come and gone. And fall is taking hold here in Minnesota. Although I love all the colors that colder weather brings out in nature, I most certainly do not enjoy the raking of fallen leaves that it also causes… But we certainly have to bear the bitter to behold the beauty.


Today I have been given an unexpected day off from tutoring at the middle school. What a perfect way to catch up on this blog… Well, not catch up really, because so much is going on that I cannot ever hope to say all that I desire to... But here are some thoughts about some of the events that have happened to Ben lately. 





Life has been difficult lately, but interesting as well. Ben started getting sick again as soon as he went back to school. Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome is not a joy, let me put that out there. Yes, it is exactly what the name implies… Throwing up that recurs chronically, for weeks at a time sometimes and several times a day. We have learned since Ben was diagnosed that this affects many children with autism. Ha, something else to add to the bunch of symptoms that plague our Ben already. 


But in his misfortune, we can always find a silver lining. CVS reared its ugly head in Ben’s life when he was in 7th grade, so only 5 years ago; it sometimes affects some poor babies with autism as early as 18 months of age. At least Ben was 13 and could (sometimes) make it into the bathroom, and somewhat verbalize his needs and discomfort (what a charming and subdued term to explain what goes on for him when this happens!)


Anyway, life goes on, as it always does. He was prescribed different medications to control the “problem” and my poor child now takes as many pills as you would imagine an elderly person needs. Thank goodness for modern medicine! Without it I am not sure Ben would even be with us –due to some other conditions he suffers from-- so yeah, let’s count our blessings!


In other news, Ben received his recommend for his patriarchal blessing. It was a year in coming.  Our bishop wanted to make sure that Ben well understood the process and what it really means before recommending him.


Ben keeps announcing to all who will listen that he is graduating at the end of this school year and that he is going on his mission right after. Well, as much as we have tried to explain to him that he needs to finish another 2 years in a vo-tech type of establishment, he doesn’t budge: “I am going on my mission after I graduate”! And just to be clear, he means a full-time proselyting mission “in England, Italy or wherever they choose to send me!”  Yeah, yikes… There is no way I see a “regular mission” in the cards for him, not with the level of care Ben requires.


Sooo, receiving his patriarchal blessing might prove crucial for him to hear what the Lord has in store for him, after graduation, for a mission and also for the rest of his life...



...A life that autism has ruled for so much of his 18 years. It is time for him to learn what his destiny is and what he can receive, if he lives worthy of the blessings God wants to bestow upon him. Ben is a good soldier for the Lord; he is patient in his many afflictions, loving, pure and innocent still in his views of the world. I know whatever God wants him to accomplish in this mortal sphere, he will try to do with a heart single to the glory of the Father. 


And we, as a family, will need to assist him in this service. Ben loves without guile, serves with all his heart according to his abilities and just loves Christ and his Heavenly Father.  He might have autism, but autism does not have him, as I have said before. And just as with fall weather, we have to bear the bitter to behold the beauty that God will certainly send to Ben’s life.



No comments :

Post a Comment