Tuesday, March 4, 2014

"I'll walk with you" by Camille



“If you don’t walk as most people do, some people walk away from you. But I won’t! I won’t! I’ll walk with you, I’ll talk with you, that’s how I’ll show my love for you.”


I have loved my younger brother Ben from the moment he was born. The first years of his life were very trying; Ben was not developing as quickly as anticipated, and no doctor knew what was wrong. After much time, Ben was diagnosed with autism.


Because I have decided to be my brother’s keeper, I have witnessed how unkind people can be to others who are unlike them. This has instilled in me a strong desire to treat others as Christ would. My awareness and sensitivity to others’ needs has increased to a greater degree than if Ben had not been such a force in my life.



Ben has also taught me to be patient and compassionate. Having these traits has offered me other opportunities to serve. In high school, I was involved with Best Buddies, a program designed to foster relationships between regular and special education students. I was able to work with a girl with cerebral palsy who simply radiated joy and love of life. 


Shortly after that, I started working as a Personal Care Assistant for a young boy with autism, who put my patience to the test. Right now, I volunteer on campus with Adaptive Aquatics, where I swim with special needs elementary age students. 


Each minute I spend with these choice sons and daughters of God reinforces my testimony that we are all children of a loving Heavenly Father, and that each one of us has a mission to fulfill. I’m thankful that part of Ben’s mission was to be my brother, and teach me how to love others unconditionally.


3 comments :

  1. Camille you have had a very big heart since the day I met you! What a wonderful example you are to all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful thoughts from a beautiful young lady and loving sister. I know that you and Keith are so proud of her. What a wonderful example she is to Ben and Angelique. The gospel in action is an awesome thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your kindness, Val and Dianna :)

    ReplyDelete