Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Spread the Word to End the Word!





Tomorrow marks the 5th anniversary of Spread the Word to End the Word, a universal effort to eliminate demeaning language towards people with intellectual and developmental disabilities and replace it with respect. I need your help and ask that you activate your voice via social media and throughout your community to pledge support in both words and actions to create communities of inclusion for people with IDD with this pledge:
I pledge #RESPECT thru my words & actions. Support the use
of respectful language for EVERYONE at www.r-word.org
Over the last 25 years in my role at Best Buddies, I have enjoyed the opportunity to work and interact with people with intellectual and developmental disabilities each day. I'm constantly reminded that these individuals have so much to offer us in regards to the way they choose to see the world. Our participants are the most amazing friends, colleagues, and employees. I'm so grateful to have them in my life. I don't want them to be exposed to hurtful and demeaning language.


BILLY'S REMARKABLE STORY

I'm in Boston today, which reminds me of the story of Billy O'Brien. Billy began working with Best Buddies in September 2010, and acquired a position working as an Office Services Assistant with Eaton Vance Investment Managers after having been unemployed for more than a year prior. Since then, Billy has grown from working 25 hours a week, to working 35 hours a week, and also enjoys full benefits such as health insurance, a 401(k) and profit sharing.
The progression that Billy has achieved within the company has been extraordinary. Beyond Billy's work performance, he and his co-workers have impacted one another greatly in their unified efforts to create a truly cohesive and integrated work atmosphere. Billy continues to work and grow at Eaton Vance. He's a man who loves his job, and he hopes to continue his career as an Eaton Vance employee for many years to come.

I urge you to join Best Buddies in our effort to support individuals like Billy and Spread the Word to End the Word by visiting www.r-word.org and taking the pledge to stop using the r-word now and forever.


I'M DOWN WITH YOU (FREE DOWNLOAD)

After you take the pledge, please enjoy a free download of a phenomenal book and resource I'm Down With You, about the incredible special community of individuals with Down syndrome.

The book contains over 100 photographs in the form of portraits and families along with essays by me, Sharon Stone, and Jagatjoti Khalsa, photographer and creator of I'm Down with You.
Download I'm Down With You, FREE in the iTunes Store
Please take the pledge today and help create a more accepting world for all of us. Thank you for everything you do to contribute to the Best Buddies mission. Together, we are changing the world!


In friendship,





Anthony K. Shriver
Founder & Chairman, Best Buddies International

No comments :

Post a Comment