Friday, May 17, 2013
Musings
I went to college in France; well, that's where I did my undergraduate work. Then in 1991, I attended the University of Utah in Salt Lake City and graduated with a masters in languages and literature in 1993. I was 3 months pregnant with Camille.
Camille now attends Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah. She is a junior and will apply to the Marriott School of Business in a month. Yes, the cliché that time flies is indeed all too true...
Brigham Young University is a completely foreign world to me. I only set foot on that campus for the first time to attend a dance when Keith and I were first engaged. I had so many stars in my eyes from being with the love of my life that I frankly didn't pay much attention to the setting. The second time was to visit to help Camille decide whether the U of U or BYU would be a better fit for her.
I felt the spirit so strongly there that I felt I was on holy grounds. And indeed the whole property on which Brigham Young University stands has been dedicated for the work of the Lord, for the building up of His kingdom on the earth, for the educating of the young and bright minds of our youth. It belongs to our church, and when I visited, I felt at home there. Yet I repeat again, BYU is a completely foreign world to me.
Why is that? I am a fairly well educated woman, and this is the flagship university that belongs to my church. I should understand its principles and tenets!
Yet its subculture and little traditions leave me baffled.
So when my lovely Camille calls and asks me "why" or "how", I am yet again reduced to swimming in a sea of unknown currents... I have to walk by faith; she has to as well.
Just as we have had to so far in our journey with autism with Benjamin.
Hmmm, I sense a recurring theme in our lives ☺
Maybe that is it; regardless of our position in life, we must learn to take the steps that will enable us to show Heavenly Father that despite our limited understanding, we trust Him and that with our hand in His we can do all things.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments
(
Atom
)





No comments :
Post a Comment