The
absolute best thing about writing a blog is the stroll down memory lane that I
have the pleasure to take, each time I sit at my computer and reminisce about
Ben and how far he has come, from the little non-verbal screeching child that
he used to be. So I write about his challenges and our trials, but also his
joys and our triumphs. Then I sit and ponder how to best illustrate what I have
just put down black on white. That’s when I turn to my “treasure chest”: my
scrapbooks! They might not be the best, artistically speaking, but they are aesthetically
pleasing, colorful and most of all, organized, so I can find exactly
what I am looking for in one snap of my fingers. Ben loves to say of himself: “I
am sooo organized!” Well, at least for this small portion of my life, I’d like
to claim the same privilege and pat myself on the back (Hey, if I don’t do it,
who will!? ☺)
Today’s topic is full of hope and joy --and
pictures too, apparently, because a picture is worth a thousand words! I want to
show the world how proud we are of Ben, who was named team captain of his
soccer team for next season! ☺ Yeah Ben!!
Through the years Ben has been a great
little athlete and has not let his autism define who he is and what he can or
cannot do. He always shows great courage and endurance and those traits started
to show ever since he was involved in Special Olympics in Pennsylvania from
2002 to 2006.
He competed as a Special Olympian for five years and won a
variety of awards and ribbons, but most of all he started showing that he could
indeed “do it”! (Yes, I shamelessly borrowed this from Nike!)
| March 2004, just before his 2nd Special Olympics, incidentally Ben is wearing a Nike sweatshirt ☺ |
When he started 7th grade,
he joined his first high school teams: soccer, floor hockey and softball. He
has been playing with the Robins for the past five years now and last night, at
the end of the year banquet, earned his fifth letter in each sport!
| Now imagine, five years worth of certificates for three sports... That's a lot of Letter Awards ☺ |
At the banquet Coach Demorett, his soccer coach, also announced that Ben would be captain for the soccer team. What a
surprise for me ☺ When Ben started soccer in 7th grade he was more
of a liability on the field than an asset… and now, five years later, captain!
Nothing short of amazing!
We have had wonderful coaches, working
with him, being ever so patient and encouraging him every step of the way.
These marvelous people work for the same school district as I do, as
extracurricular activities teachers, let me tell you, they don’t do it for the
money… I know what they earn; they don’t do it for that reason! No, they are
just kind, devoted, patient coaches, willing to see the best in every child who
is on their team, and they teach those kids to do the best they can! The Robins
are getting better and better and have enjoyed amazing seasons the past couple
years. I know winning isn’t what it’s all about… But for kids who are not at
all used to winning in life, it makes a big difference when they do win ☺ Thank
you Coach Demorett, Coach Rivers and Coach Enna! Congratulations Robins!
![]() |
| Ben and his awesome coaches at the end of the year banquet- June 3rd 2013 |
And way
to go Ben for all these wonderful years of progress and showing that you can “DO
IT”!! You da man!



No comments :
Post a Comment