Tomorrow’s
the day!! Keith and I will be celebrating our 21st wedding
anniversary and at 8am we’ll be leaving for downtown Minneapolis to report for
our court date to petition for guardianship of Benjamin.
It’s a
huge deal for me. I have never ever set foot into a court house, here in the
USA or in my native France, either to be a witness, petitioner or defendant,
heaven forbid! J Our
attorney called this afternoon and reassured me again that it will be a fairly
uncomplicated case –read open/shut-- and that it should take all of about ten
minutes. I most certainly hope so.
I hope
and pray that Ben doesn’t lose his marbles when the judge asks him a few
questions. The only thing he understands about this “going to court” event is
that it is necessary for him so that he can officially announce that he wants
to continue living at our house now that he has turned 18. He knows that Camie
has moved out now that she has graduated. He understands that his situation is
different and that he will not be going anywhere after graduation. Thus he
needs to go to court to say he wants to stay with us. I need to give him credit
for understanding that much! J
| Celebrating 18 years with Cookie Monster and Elmo cupcakes! :) |
Keith
and I have already agreed that Keith will take the stand because when I am
nervous my French accent comes out thicker than usual and that flusters me,
ugh! Then I mangle my grammar and sound very uneducated. So no, I am not taking
the stand.
Other
than that, the proceedings should be simple; our attorneys –both ours and
Ben’s—have already decided that yes, it is in Ben’s best interest that he
should remain under our supervision (thank you); so they just need to “prove
it” to the judge. Phew, gotta love the judicial system! At least they cover all
their bases. They asked the girls, Camie and Lixie, if they objected to our
appointment and since they don’t, here we are J Court
day! Why am I nervous!? I know all will be well, but I can’t help being a
little apprehensive.
For today that’s all folks. I will report back after all is
said and done, when we are officially Ben’s guardians. For now I suppose we are
in no man’s land… Or is Ben his own man? How scary! Well, only a few more hours and we’ll be all
official again! J



No comments :
Post a Comment