The
problem is you always think you will have more time to do the things you want
to… Then one day, that’s it… All done, you have just run out of time. On this
earth, time is a precious commodity, it is not to be wasted or squandered away.
The
past few days have been replete with events which have reminded me of these truths.
First, Angelique, my last “baby”, is away at girls’ camp. It is likely her
second to last year, as she likes it alright, but certainly does not relish spending
time in the woods in the company of the Minnesota state bird --namely the
mosquito-- which is positively voracious this year. So I’m sure she’ll attend
one more year and that’ll be it for her!
Well,
I remember being invited one year to attend girls’ camp, just before Camie
went, and I declined, thinking there would certainly be many other chances for
me to go, with two girls who would be in Young Women… Guess what? There never
were any other chances… L
The
other event which is prompting this philosophical entry: we have suffered very
damaging thunderstorms here in the Twin Cities the past few days. They started
last Wednesday, lasted through Thursday, and knocked power out for several days
to some areas. Some unfortunate folks are still without power! I am teaching a
little French class for the school district this week and some of my students
told me their power only came back last night… How rough… We only were without for
16 hours and again for a bit yesterday.
Along
with the power failures (which were the most inconvenient and dangerous, I would
think!), we lost some trees and big branches from our huge maples in our yard.
Again, we were so blessed and fortunate as they somehow –angels were watching,
I know— fell far enough from the house and even from our neighbors’ car! (Keith
was out of town, I don’t really know what I would have done by myself…) Still,
we lost my favorite tree in our front yard L
Again,
I always thought I’d have more time…
So here comes my little tree story, which has taught me about the fragility of life... That tree, which was just obliterated in the storm, was special to me because I liked to take pictures of my kids in front of it. We took some of Camie’s senior and graduation pics “in it”.
So here comes my little tree story, which has taught me about the fragility of life... That tree, which was just obliterated in the storm, was special to me because I liked to take pictures of my kids in front of it. We took some of Camie’s senior and graduation pics “in it”.
| Camie, senior picture, 2011 |
And I was planning on taking more of Ben’s senior
pictures in front of it as well. And now, it’s completely gone, sheared clear
off at ground level… I recognize it’s a small thing, but it truly makes me realize
how precarious life is and how fast it can change, in the blink of an eye, when
all is said and done.
| Ben, senior picture, 2013 (my tree further in the background :(( ) |
| Angelique, fall 2012, sophomore |
So
whether you live with autism, or any other life altering condition –and there
are so many—or if you are trying to recover from a big storm, literal, emotional
or spiritual, remember to exist mindfully and make your days as meaningful as
possible! Seize all the chances that you can J
That’s
what I have learned lately…
| And here's a last one of my defunct tree, in May 2013... Yes, May in MN ;) |



No comments :
Post a Comment